Oil and Coal Division History
Fuel Division of F.M. Brown’s began from the vision of
our founder George Brown. In 1843, he started the legacy
with a water-powered grist mill, now a registered National
Historic Landmark, on Monocacy Creek in Pennsylvania. The
Old Grist Mill today remains as solid as the day it was
built, six generations ago. It functions as a constant
reminder of the strength, tradition, and integrity on
which our company was built.
Franklin M. Brown, George's son directed the company
and retired in 1920. In turn, his four sons formed a
partnership, F.M. Brown's Sons, which was later
incorporated in 1948. B. Clay Brown, Franklin's second son
moved to Reading in 1920 and began the Coal and Feed
business on Lancaster Avenue.
1947, Fuel Oil was added as another energy product. B.
Clay retired in 1969, and the Division grew under the
management of C. Merrill Brown. The business currently
maintains its strong foundation from leadership of the 5th
generation of Brown's.